The R+D Studio at ShubinDonaldson is focused on the cultivation of design culture and a process-driven methodology. We contend with questions regarding the typological, technical, & representational nature of the work, strategies of design process and workflow, and methods of making and fabrication aligned with advancing both our ideas and practice. We are a resource that supports projects within each studio throughout our three offices and case studies that engage with the future direction of our firm, region, and discipline.
- Champion a research-oriented culture and methodology.
- Propose and develop research directions and oversee their discussion.
- Organize and catalog the R+D processes and results.
- A trans-disciplinary approach to thinking and defining problems.
- A multimodal approach to making and resolving solutions.
- A particular focus on finding the right questions as well as answers.
- Embedding academia within practice.
- Encouraging curiosity and thoughtful making.
- Regular discourse to engage the creative spirit.